Wednesday 27 February 2013

Clay Play - Jewellery 101

Determined not to leave my lovely new packet of clay sitting for too long and building up to an anxiety attack over starting something, I jumped right in.  After 2 weeks.  However, being a reasonably intelligent person, I was determined to go in prepared and not have a situation similar to the glue ooze happen.

So, tools required - something to roll, smoosh, press, work the clay on.  I swear I used to have this lovely thick PVC sheet for pastry - where the hell has that gone? Hmm, as I can't actually recall the last year I made pastry, I've probably chucked the sheet out.  So, plan B - baking paper. Check.

Something to cut with - this might require two cutting implements.  Something to cut a chunk (technical term, try and keep up with me people) off the block of clay, and something to use for some finer detail.  We've got loads of old knives in the third drawer in the kitchen (it might be the second or bottom drawer in your house, but you know the drawer I mean).

Okay, apparently we have no knives whatsoever in the third drawer - clearly left home with the PVC pastry sheet.  As the entire contents of the third drawer are now spread over the kitchen table, I'm quickly assessing and rejecting possible implements, at the same time wondering whether I'll get away with using the good knives...  No, naughty! Do not use the good knives!  So I settle on an old cake server for the cut-the-chunk-off-the-block tool.  Although I am wondering why I still have the old cake server if I no longer make pastry.

Now, being a plan ahead sort of person, I've already sussed that I'll need a hole pokey thing to make holes in the pendant I'm planning, in order to attach a jump ring and chain later on. As I was hanging onto a broken piece of memory wire for something, I feel entirely like this was the reason.

The perfect clay jewellery tools
 Plastic wrap - even without reading instructions, I've figured out that air dry clay is going to dry out just as much in a big block as a little jewellery sized piece and some wrapping will be required.  And drat 'him who hates the cling film box' as he's tossed it out and I have to struggle with cutting off a sheet of plastic wrap without wearing it.  (Although it might keep the clay off my clothes, which could be a good thing).  I'm planning on neat and tidy, but I've discovered that's not usually the case when I start a project!

I'm ready! So exciting! Cut a chunk (cake server works well) - not too big, not too small, press, roll.  And did you notice earlier what wasn't done... well catch up now. Forgot the knife for the detail work didn't we hey? (Yes, I'm including you in the blame.  You didn't notice earlier, so don't say you did).  Quick, what to use - bloody cake server's useless.  Really, is it too much to ask that it doubles as a scalpel?  It's not like it's being overworked on cakes.  Scissors are cutting implements, scissors will cut clay.  Hah! Not that exact, but I have sandpaper, she'll be right.

I also have a lid from a tablet bottle to hand (i.e. the glue ooze catcher), so that will work just like a scone cutter... or not.  Take note: unlike a scone cutter, there is another side to the cap and you can't poke your clay scone out.  You shake it.. then jump up and down with it for a while.  Then you resort to pushing it (because of course pushing it further into the lid will help!), then you turn your back on it and sneak a peek over your shoulder just in case it's too shy to drop out while someone's watching.

So, I cut/hack/chop/chunk away, I press/roll/smoosh away - it's like playdough... so much fun, and I get to call it work.  So my first clay pendants are cut, holes are poked (the hole pokey wire worked beautifully), and now we wait for it to dry.  Then some sanding and painting (I'm just going for a painted design on these first ones).  And lastly there will be something to make it shine over the top. I'm not actually sure what that might be at this stage (I never said my planning included how to finish this), but it can't be too hard to work out.

Perfect (haha) wet clay pieces

In the meantime, I'm just going to go and play, er, work, with the clay again.  Anyone got a playdough machine?  The one where it all comes out in long squiggly bits?  Can I borrow it?







Some days later...
So much for just painting. Truthfully, I can't draw. I know I come across as being a completely accomplished artist in many areas, so this will probably come as a shock to you. So the nice round pendant is a little thicker than it started because it's got about 20 coats of paint on it from painting over my woeful art, but that just makes it stronger.  The two large triangles broke when I picked them up - you can apparently roll clay too thin. Who knew?

However, the whole point of this was to learn, and I've learned heaps - what not to do, and what will work well next time. So in the end I decorated my lovely round pendant (the others are still waiting for inspiration) - dragonfly, hand coiled wire flower and a pretty purple crystal heart. I'm going with the theory that purple improves the look of any jewellery! It looks great on.  And when I wear it absolutely no one is going to stare closely enough at my boobal area to see the little imperfections! (The imperfections of the pendant, not my boobs).

My perfectly imperfect clay pendant!


What do you think for my first attempt - pass or fail?  (PS - I've just bought some actual clay tools, I think the cake server can retire to the third drawer and wait for a cake again).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete